Saturday, July 2, 2011

"The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful..."


Any Jimmy Buffett fans out there? It's that time of year for Jimmy Buffett, boat drinks, and the beach. Today all of my family heads to Sunset beach for the week. We go every 4th of July week and by we I mean 25+ girlfriends, boyfriends, and now fiance's! (Two of my cousins are getting married to some pretty awesome ladies, and of course there is Ion.) This week is one of my favorite weeks of the year, why wouldn't it be? A whole week filled with reading books that don't have to have any intellectual value whatsoever, playing boccee ball, building sand castles, and LOTS of Bubba Kegs of Goombay Smash (the most delicious but oh so dangerous concoction my uncle makes).

I wasn't able to go to the beach last year because of work and I can't make it this year because not only did we just move out here and I'm still waiting on that first paycheck, but I also just started a new job and there are some important events next week that I have to be here for. Being a "responsible" grown up just plain sucks sometimes. There I said it. Not that I don't love having our own house, living with Ion, and making money (although not too much because I do work for nonprofits), and of course being able to buy alcohol, but bills and not being able to take off for a week to sit on the beach and drink and read just plain blows.

Here is a picture from a few years ago of the crazy sand castle my cousins and uncle built.


So sad. But there are a few awesome things that should get me through this week without too many tears. First being that Kenny comes today! Kenny is my cousin and we are only a few months apart in age. We grew up and graduated from high school together. I am so excited for him to get here, and then we can be sad about missing the beach together....or we can make our own fun! Kenny is staying with us until he finds a job here, it's been his goal to move out here for a few years now so I am so excited for him to be here, did I say that already?

AND this morning we were walking Juneau and someone across the street called my name. It turns out that one of my roommates from DC, Ali, is moving in literally across the street from us! This is seriously exciting not only because I love Ali but she is also inheriting a pretty sweet front porch where I plan to do some catching up with her later.

Kenny and I are going to make some Goombay Smash for the 4th, but until then this is keeping me motivated to get lots done today and not think about where I really want to be and what I would much rather be drinking.

TO THE BEACH!



No comments:

Post a Comment