Monday, July 11, 2011

Mystery Mutt

It's no secret that I love my dog, I pretty much think she's the bee's knees. I adopted her from animal control in Charlotte, NC during my second year of teaching. We had a great six months in Charlotte but then she couldn't come to DC with me because of housing. Ion, who was not a dog person took the nut in. (notice I use the word "was" there, the man loves Juneau but he won't admit it too often. He just brings her home treats almost every time he goes to the store. Yea, he spoils her.) But now we all live together in Denver and I'm pretty stoked about it. Especially the living with Juneau part, she's s pretty awesome roommate.

Aren't they cute?



I could write all day about how awesome Juneau is, I mean look at that face. The question is not about her sweet face, good nature, or the fact that she came house trained (score!), the question is: what is she?

<span class=

The pound had her listed as a German Shepard. Have you seen a German Shepard? My dog is soooo not a German Shepard. So it's an endless guessing game as to what her 'heritage' actually is. I see other dogs that I think look like her pretty much all the time. Like today I ran across this photo that inspired this, probably uninteresting to most of you, post.

Um, hello Juneau's long lost twin.
photos from dogspired.com

That's the closest look alike that I've seen yet. Juneau is a mutt in every sense of the word and I love the guessing game that goes along with that title. My cousin Timmy and his fiance' Mari Kate did DNA testing on their dog, Sunny, and the results were a hilarious mix of breeds. I really want to have Juneau's DNA tested but until then I'll just share some of my theories as to what she is (you know, besides awesome).

Here's a Juneau and Sunny pic, they are best friends. You can say "where's Sunny?" to Juneau and she gets all excited and goes to the window. It's really kind of mean when we do that now considering Sunny is 1700 miles away. Poor Juneau. TimKate come visit!
Isn't Sunny such a cutie though? Love her, and her owners! (Sidenote: I am not anyone's mother and am not a fan of being to be referred to as the parent of my dog. I mean she's cute and I love her and all that but I hope if I have kids someday they come out a little less hairy and, you know, have opposable thumbs.)


So here are just some of the breeds that I think went into the making of my crazy mutt...

photo courtesy of petfinder.com
Beagle: I know you probably don't see it but Juenau points and has a shortish legs.

photo courtesy of petfinder.com
Sher Pei: I love that face!

photo courtesy of http://www.guiafe.com.ar

Boxer: I just love 'em and it explains my nugget's round head body shape.

<span class=

Then there is this beauty from the Pioneer Woman's blog, a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Never heard of this breed before? Yea, me neither, but he's just gorgeous and has some Juneauesque qualities, if you look closely. Ion tells me that I think every dog looks like Juneau, and he's pretty much right. But it's fun to guess and mostly I just like to look at dogs, that's less weird than looking at cats, right?

That's Ion again, see? I told you he likes her.

PS: I want a Great Dane, like crazy bad. I fell in love with a Great Dane-Weimaraner mix from the Great Dane rescue society in Charlotte a few years ago and have wanted to rescue one ever since.
photo courtesy of http://www.greatdanewagner.com/
Just Georgous. Ion says no. I will convince him one day :)

P.P.S. If you are thinking of getting a dog, consider adopting. No judgement if you don't, there are some pretty fantasticly adorable goldendoodles and whatnots out there, but there are so many sweet nuggets like this one at kill shelters and animal control who need homes. So get your golden doodle a playmate :)


In this photo I think Juneau looks like a gremlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment