Thursday, June 30, 2011

Bars, Dogs, and Baseball

Sorry to all six of you "followers" out there (Hi Mom!) for being MIA for the last week or so. I will try and do better. I'd hate to keep everyone on the edge of their seats for too long. I know you are anxiously awaiting my next post on a random piece of orange furniture, large weeds I find, or the fact that I now run like a lifelong smoker. (That's getting better by the way! I made it two miles yesterday and only stopped at a few stoplights <-- for me this equals MAJOR PROGRESS, don't judge.)

I still don't have my camera cord (mail the package already Mom) so no pictures of the house, but I do have this awesome picture that I took when we went out for drinks with some friends last Friday.

It's not the best picture quality and doesn't begin to do the scenery justice but you kinda get the picture.
Colorado is so beautiful, I can't wait to get out and explore those mountains! I am hoping to get out and hike a little this weekend. Ion has been a bit of a downer lately and can't go out and play with me. It's not his fault though, he's studying for the bar. I'm very proud of his work ethic and I try to help by making coffee and staying out of the way. Needless to say though, I'll be happy when August is here and bar studying is over for a little while. Or at least until he starts studying for the Colorado bar...

It'll be ok though because my cousin Kenny is coming on Saturday to stay for awhile until he gets a job and a place here! So Kenny will hike with me and help me find a bike....I cannot wait to get my first paycheck so I can finally get a new/new to me from craigslist bike. (I had to leave my bike in DC, where it's in good hands but I do miss it.)

Ok so back to the title of this post, I have come the closest I'll ever be to becoming a (South) Carolina fan this week. We were walking to the grocery store a fews days after we got to Denver which is only about 8 blocks away and were surprised to see a USC Baseball flag outside of a bar near the store. I mean, it's not like CO and SC are close on the map so we weren't expecting a big fan base out here for either of our teams. Boy were we surprised!

Since South Carolina was playing in the College World Series and we don't have cable/TV at all, (we have Netflix and figured that could do us until football season when we will get everything set up) we decided we would venture to the bar we passed and watch the game on Monday night. There was a pretty good crowd of USC fans there and the bar was fantastic! Not fantastic in a fancy sense though, which really isn't our style anyway. This place is the perfect dive bar and I was in love (and able to ignore all the chanting of GAME....COCKS...) for the following reasons:
  • Drink specials during the game included $2 bud lights (eh.) and $3 Sweet Tea Vodka drinks (Whaaaaaaaa?! To think, I stocked up on STV because I wasn't sure I'd be able to get it here. And it was cheap. And it automatically came in a tall glass, just the way I like it with water and lemon...Mmmmm).
  • They allow dogs inside. There were quite a few cuties there on Monday and so we brought Juneau with us Tuesday for the second game. Awesome.
  • They don't serve food so they "encourage" you to bring food in. We saw someone order a pizza and the delivery guy came in and brought it to the table. It reminded me of ordering Beezer's to the 4th floor of the library at Clemson. (Side Note: I think Beezer's is gross but you take what you can get at 3:00am during an all night study session.)
  • The people, bartenders included, were all so nice and friendly.
  • It's walking distance from our house.
And for your viewing pleasure Juneau living the good life at Don's....

She likes Durham, a lot, mostly because he fed her BBQ and gave her all the treats that I brought that were supposed to be for bribing/behaving purposes.

Disclaimer: I am not and will not ever be a (South) Carolina fan. But I do support my home state and had a great time watching the game. And this bar is awesome. I went to a Clemson Alumni happy hour last week and it was a blast (that bar was also amazing, just in a different way and I couldn't bring Juneau. But that's another post). Don't worry, I will certainly be wearing orange come football season!


Just so you know, I am well aware that I overuse exclamation marks. But hey, sometimes I'm just excited about stuff and if you know me in real life and aren't just creeping on my blog you'd know that I am pretty excitable. (PS if you're creeping, welcome! Leave a comment so you won't be as much of a creeper and I'll try and post something worth reading from time to time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment